Shabby Blogs Background

Friday, July 20, 2012

Starting Point Layout - Party Monsters

I managed to finish the latest Starting Point Layout this afternoon. If you stopped by earlier today you saw a sneak peak on this post. To see Shimelle's Starting Point post please go here. I am having so much fun with these! I think I like this idea better than a sketch. Gasp! Is that wrong? :) I have my reasons though. Sometimes I find sketches tough if I have more pictures than it shows (not surprisingly this frequently happens to me) or my title and/or journalling don't fit where the sketch suggests putting them, or my embellishments are the wrong size, etc. I know that the whole idea of a sketch is to help with the placement of design elements to make the whole process faster but to be honest, using them almost makes me scrap slower. Maybe it's the rules follower in me that feels the need to actually follow the sketch!! LOL! Whatever the reason, I find Shimelle's starting points freeing. It's like once the background is in place I am free to fit my photos, title, journalling and embellishments where ever I want. Sound crazy? Give it a try and then tell me if I'm crazy or not!!

Anyway, enough rambling. I knew I wanted to play with the new Hallowe'en DSP and when I went hunting for photos I found ones of Marley's first Hallowe'en party. I even had the exact number and sizes of photos that Shimelle had used. It was total kismet!! Here is my finished layout.


And here's a reminder of how I started.


The new papers from Stampin' Up! (Howlstooth and Scaringbone) don't have any red in it but my pictures did so I used my designer discretion to add a block of Real Red to mat the photos onto.


The title was (of course) cut out with my Big Shot using the Typeset Alphabet dies but before I did that I embossed the Tangerine Tango card stock with the new Wood Grain embossing folder. I also lightly brushed  the raised parts with Basic Grey ink.

And then I had a bit of fun. In the soon to be released Holiday Mini Catalogue is a kit to make treat bag labels. It uses a new stamp set called Googly Ghouls and comes with googly eyes. I used the spider and BOOOO images elsewhere on the layout and then came up with the idea of turning the middle of the O into a mummy using the googly eyes and some white bakers twine. Isn't he cute?

Here's a look at the spiders. Also in this picture are some large ink splotches (straight from my re-inker bottle), some smaller ink flecks (using my Aquq painter), a rhinestone that I coloured black with a Sharpie and a red and black stamped butterfly image from Papillon Potpourri. I felt I needed to bring some of that red out from behind the pictures and spread it around a bit.

Well, that's it. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend everyone and here are your links to available products featured on this layout.




No comments:

Post a Comment