Shabby Blogs Background

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Starting Point layout - Bookclub Retreat

Is bookclub one word or two? Hmmm ... perhaps two. Oh well.

This week's Starting Point layout with Shimelle Laine was a lot of fun to work with. Click on the link to be taken to her site and the inspiration for my layout.

Here is my finished layout.

And where I started from.

These papers are from Fan Fair. I loved the map print and the keys (the girls in my book club were Sorority Sisters and our symbol was the key). The bicycles are just for fun!
Oh, and the text paper isn't from Fan Fair but is a piece of First Edition Specialty DSP. I liked the little type writer image and felt the paper went with my story about a book club retreat. 

One of the most exciting papers in Fan Fair is a sheet of cut-a-parts. The back side is a gorgeous pink lace pattern which I will use on a different layout but for this one, there were two images that I wanted to cut out. The little journalling tag with the red type writer and the one you see above of the quote with a lovely scroll-y border. 

Here's a look at the journalling tag.

I don't usually position my titles vertically but as I was playing with my stamped title (seeing if I wanted to cut it all apart or leave it as is) I really liked how it looked placed vertically between the photos and the journalling embellishment cluster so ... what do you think? Does it work? I wanted to play on the theme of type writers so created the second word of my title to mimic type writer keys. 

To get the ink splashes I took my re-inkers, squeezed a little bit into an old yogurt container and then used a well saturated paint brush to get the ink splotches. You could also use your Aqua Painter.

As a pop of colour I picked up the More Mustard from the bicycles images and used my Quint-Essential Flower stamp to create these flower images. A More Mustard Designer button and some Jute finish it off. I am planning to enter this into the Creative Accents buttons and twine challenge.

Thanks for stopping by. Please be sure to leave a comment so I can come and visit your site to do the same.
Here are your links for this project.



3 comments:

  1. I really like what you've done from the Starting Point....the ink splatters look great.....and love the journaling block with the typewriter.
    Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this, especially the little typewriter image!!! Oh, and the old photos - fun! (So you were a Kappa, when? I wonder if we crossed paths at some point, I was D Phi E in 95-98... Funny how small a world it can be!) I love the title stamping vertically like that, and the typewriter key letters work perfectly! And thanks for entering our challenge, good luck on the draw, hugs, Roxy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This layout is fabulous! I love the typewriter and the ink splatters! So glad you could join us @ SCC!!

    ReplyDelete