Shabby Blogs Background

Monday, February 27, 2012

Vintage Birthday Card

Today is my brother's Mother-in-law's birthday. She has felt like another mother to me since Andrew and Jonina started getting serious and our kids refer to her as Amma Lynne, just like her actual grand kids do. So when we were invited over to my brother's to celebrate not only Marley's birthday but Lynne's too, I knew I had to make something special for her. I went into my stash of samples created by the clever ladies in my uplines and here is what I came up with.

I used what has become my go-to DSP when I want a vintage vibe - Everyday Enchantment from the Sale-a-Bration catalogue. I embossed the bottom layer with the Stripes Textured Impressions folder and inked the edges with Soft Suede (LOVE this ink colour! use it on most of my edges). The other pattern is actually the back side of the red patterned paper. I simply inked all the edges and mounted it on Very Vanilla before adhering it with Dimensionals. I cut out the doily with my Paper Doily Sizzlits Die and then brushed it all over with more Soft Suede. 

The sentiment was a multi-step process. First I stamped the curly frame image from Elementary Elegance Stamp set with Early Espresso ink. I then stamped over the image (as closely as I could) with some Versamark ink and heat embossed it with clear embossing powder. (I was rushed taking the pictures so it doesn't really show up. Bummer! Trust me when I say that the gloss is there - it's subtle but it adds quite a bit to the over all look of the card.) Then I nestled the Happy Birthday sentiment into the same frame image stamp and stamped the whole thing with Baja Breeze. This allowed me to cut out the inner frame and mount it with Dimensionals onto my embossed image. 
A little bit of the Pleated Satin Ribbon in Baja Breeze finished it off.


Thanks for checking out my little card. I'd like to take a moment to remind you that you have a little over a month left to earn free products like the DSP and stamp set I used on this card. Sale-a-Bration ends March 31st so place your orders now. Any orders of $60 qualify you to one free item. To check out the available products please follow this link.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Alison!! I love the doily!! I have been debating on ordering it but seeing your card now I think my mind is made up!! It's gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jenn, the doily is FABULOUS! As is your whole card! Hope your surrogate MIL loved it (I'm sure she did)! Hugs, Roxy.

    ReplyDelete